An Interview with Marco Andretti
● Third-generation driver.
● His grandfather, racing legend Mario Andretti, won 52 races and four Indy car championships. His father, Michael, won 42 races and one championship, and is Marco’s team owner.
● Drives the No. 98 Honda for Andretti Herta Auto Sport with Curb-Agajanian.
● 2006 Indianapolis 500 and Verizon IndyCar Series Rookie of the Year.
● Two-time race winner (Sonoma – 2006, Iowa – 2011).
● Married model, Marta Krupa, in September 2017 and dog-dad to Moodie, an English Bulldog.
● Counts Ice T and Coco, Jeff Ross, Ludacris, Kevin Hart and Nina Dobrev among his friends, and most have attended a Verizon IndyCar Series race as his guest. Has appeared on Ice T and Coco’s reality show.
● Favorite artists include Drake, The Weekend, Future and Kanye West.
We had a chance to chat with Marco, and here’s what he had to say…
Does the pressure of being an Andretti ever get to you?
It did when I was a kid…around age 9 when I was racing go-karts. As an adult, I have really high expectations for myself, so the pressure comes from me as opposed to my family.
If you weren’t an Indy Car Driver, what would you be doing?
Commercial real estate.
How does the Barber Motor Speedway compare to other tracks (in terms of competitiveness)?
Barber is a very physical road course track. The layout is compact and technical, with a number of elevation changes and corners.
What’s your pre-race ritual?
I try not to have any superstitions. I wake up and head to the track.
There’s a lot information about you in the press, what’s something unique you can share with us?
I purchased my childhood home from my Dad, so it’s great for the family to be able to gather at the house we grew up in. I kept my brother’s and sister’s rooms as-is, so they can come home and sleep in their bed whenever they want. My wife and I also got married on the property.
I see you have a love for animals…specifically dogs. Have any of them of ever ridden in your race car with you?
My Bulldog, Moodie, doesn’t fit (unfortunately). He has ridden in a golf cart at Indianapolis though. I also have a Maltese/Yorkie mix and a Korean Jindo.